Update (7/9 4:30 pm PDT; 11:30 pm GMT): Pending notifications and email commands should now be going working normally again (although unlike messages these notifications and commands are not queued, so ones that did not go out during that period will not do so; the implication is that pending messages and members during that time will have to be approved on the web and those trying to subscribe/unsubscribe/changes settings via email will have to resend their requests).
Update (7/9 10:15 am PDT; 7/9 5:15 pm GMT): We’re looking into reports of email notification of pending members/messages/photos (as well as the confirmation messages for email commands like subscribe and unsubscribe) not being delivered.
Update (7/8 10:30 pm PDT; 7/9 5:30 am GMT): The logs problem has again been resolved and the backlog has been cleared.
In the last six weeks we have posted on the blog about a number of bugs. Here is a quick summary of the status of each of these issues:
BUGS STILL OPEN:
- Delays in Processing Activity Logs: This problem was resolved at the end of last week but returned (though on a much smaller scale) yesterday morning. The good news is that the queues are now headed in the right direction (in other words, the backlog is getting smaller), but we are currently still running about 10 hours behind.
- Message Search: Over the last two weeks, progress on the message search bug has been gated by the logs issue, both because the new message search system is dependent on “the queue” working correctly and because the same team is responsible for both systems. So as soon as the logs issue is fully resolved, this team will begin to migrate more groups on to the new message search system.
- Groups Being Recategorized as Adult: Despite a great deal of effort, we have not yet discovered the cause of the bug that is causing groups to be wrongly misclassified as adult, so we are still working on this problem. In the mean time, we have halted all advertising in adult groups until the issue is resolved.
- Text Disappearing in Some Messages Replies: This problem is being caused by the way some versions of Outlook (as well as Juno Mail) are formatting replies to messages (they are inserting the text of the reply in the wrong place, which is causing the script in Groups which deletes olds headers and footers to delete this text as well).. We have developed a potential fix that we are currently testing in QA, but users can also address the problem themselves by changing their subscription from “fully featured” to “traditional”.
NOTE: You can find information, including suggested work arounds, for other known issues here:
- Program Initialization/Temporarily Unavailable Errors: This problem has been resolved.
- Problems with Photos Uploads (50% Failure Rates): This problem has been resolved.
- Moderator Unable to Change Home Page Photos: This problem has been resolved.
- Yahoo! Mail UK Delivery Issues: This problem has been resolved.
- Messages Not Wrapping on the Preview Page: This problem has been resolved.
- New Attachments Feature Disabled (or settings changing): This problem has been resolved.
- Verizon & Comcast Delivery Issues: Not actually a Yahoo! Groups bug (the delivery issues were on their end), but based on the fact that we are no longer getting frequent reports of delivery problems to these ISPs, we believe the problem has been resolved.