As shared in recent posts, the Yahoo! Groups team has been busy working to strengthen and improve the Groups site by building a new technology platform that will allow us to release features and fix bugs much faster than ever before. This work made possible the recent updates to Photos and is a first step toward all of the changes described in the blog post, what’s in store for Yahoo! Groups . We also have members of the team focused on developing some entirely new features; including a new kind of application platform we call "grouplets".
Those of you who have experimented with the PeopleMap have already gotten a sneak peak at our first grouplet, and yesterday we pushed a new release that offers eight new kinds of grouplets (Address Book, Birthday List, Favorites, For Sale, Give Away, Group Profile, Jobs, and Places Map) and the ability to add as many different grouplets to your group as you like (though you always have to start from one of these templates).
As with the PeopleMap, the "secret sauce" of all these applications (which have essentially the same "back end", only with different fields pre-selected as defaults) is the ability for you as a moderator to customize the grouplets to fit the exact needs of your group. So, for example, a parents group might want to use the Places Map application to create a list of after school programs in a particular neighborhood, while a local dog owners group might use the same grouplet to create a map of parks with dog runs.
Keep in mind that grouplets are still in early beta, and we aren’t yet providing links to them from the group home page, but you can try them out and add new grouplets to your group by going to:
Your group members can then access any grouplets you have added by going to:
(NOTE: Keep in mind that in both cases you’ll need to replace "YOUR_GROUP_NAME" with the actual name of your group.)
We look forward to hearing what you think, whether the feedback is about the idea as a whole, about specific grouplets, or about ideas for new grouplets and new features related to grouplets.
Please keep in mind that grouplets are still in early beta, which means:
- You can expect to see bugs.
- You can expect to see missing features and usability problems.
- You can expect down time and even the removal of some grouplets (if it turns out there is no interest in them or unforeseen technical problems).
In short, hold off on introducing grouplets to your group if you are concerned about experiencing any of the inconveniences listed above that come along with trying out a beta feature. If these kinds of inconveniences don’t scare you, we’d love to hear what you think.
Meanwhile, here are a few of the new options and features that we already know we want to add to grouplets in the coming months:
- The ability to upload photos to grouplet entries.
- The ability for members to comment on entries.
- The ability to add new types of fields such as multiple choice questions, composite fields, and multiple instance fields.
- A notification system that can alert group members to new activity in grouplets.
- The ability to import data into grouplets from the database, offline spreadsheets, or other sources.
- The ability to move data from one grouplet to another.
We look forward to hearing what else you want!
Yahoo! Groups Team