Rather than commenting in my previous post on this topic, I wanted to post follow up responses to some of your suggestions and concerns in a new post. First, I want to apologize about the lack of notice you all received regarding the changes to your profiles. While it wasn’t a change that the Groups team was directly involved with, we know we could have done a better job on communicating the pending changes.
There are several common concerns I’ve seen that I would like to address:
First, I wanted to reassure you that we are reading through all of your comments and concerns and sharing them with the profiles team. There is one request in particular that I want to call out and that’s the request to bring back the date that a user created a profile ("Member since XXXX") we see the value in this and we’ve already shared this feedback with the profiles team for consideration.
I also wanted to ask that you contact the profiles Customer Care team with requests to retrieve information that was contained in your profile or aliases that you may have lost. Please remember, your profile will appear blank UNTIL you go through the new profile migration process, here — please be sure you update your new profile prior to contacting Customer Care about any missing information. After you update, if you’re still missing information, you can reach Customer Care by completing the web form found here .
We’ve also shared your recommendation of adding a “Favorite Websites” section with the profiles team. This would turn entries into clickable links and look into the possibility of migrating the data that was in "cool links" area into this new section.
Additional explanations to some of the concerns you’ve raised:
- Even though last name is "required", it does not show up to anyone you have not made a connection. "Display name" is the only thing that does show up to everyone. If you don’t feel comfortable providing your full name, many users have opted to include a last initial instead of a full last name.
- We understand that some users are receiving a "disabled by an administrator" message and are currently looking into this issue.
- Several of you have asked about the third party applications checkbox and why it only becomes unclickable when you select "My Connections", rather than "Anyone.” This is found under the "Settings/Who can see this on my profile/About Me" section. You are unable to deselect “share my information with 3rd party companies” when your profile is set to public/anyone because it is viewable by anyone— including third parties. When you set your permissions to be viewable by anyone, there is no restriction on who can or cannot view your profile and the information contained in it.
– To bind your aliases with a profile you must first select which aliases you want to bind to your primary profile. To do this, click here .
- Please note that you must FIRST go through the new user experience before you are able to bind your aliases to your profile. Get started here . Please visit the profiles news blog for more information on this specific topic.
- To add altogether new aliases to your account, go here .
Please note that you must FIRST go through the new user experience before you are able to bind your aliases to your profile. Get started here .
- Last, as an FYI, I wanted to point out that the age/location information that currently appears on Groups Member pages may become increasingly out of date since it is not being updated when a user updates their profile.
I’ll post more information as it comes available.
Groups Community Manager